What is a Precinct Committee Person?
CaucThe role of Precinct Committee Person (PCP) is at the core of political party activity; it’s our ground game. As a PCP, you are a representative of the Weld County Democratic Party in your precinct, or neighborhood. Elections are truly won or lost in precincts, especially in Weld County, and PCPs are vital to ensuring strong Democratic support for Democratic candidates and issues.
PCPs are elected during the Primary election and serve a two-year term. PCPs can also be appointed by the Party Chair. Any registered Democrat is eligible to be a PCP in the precinct where they live, as long as they are willing to do the work!
The primary role of the PCP for each precinct is to work together; to serve as the connection between the Democratic Party, the voters, and our Democratic elected officials; and to represent your entire precinct within the Party.
Following are some of the duties of a PCP:
- KNOW YOUR PRECINCT. Stay informed on local current issues and candidates.
- ATTEND MEETINGS. Attend meetings as a voting member of the County Central Committee held twice a year.
- GET TRAINED. Attend training sessions to improve skills and effectiveness as a PCP. Become familiar with voting lists, precinct maps, voter registration, and candidate lists.
- SUPPORT CANDIDATES. Support nominees of the Democratic Party and educate voters in your precinct about the Democratic Party, it’s nominees and Democratic issues.
- CANVASS. Build relationships with Democrats in your precinct by door-to-door canvassing, phone banking, and/or organizing informational gatherings.
- RECRUIT OTHERS. Recruit and maintain contact with precinct volunteers to assist with Get Out The Vote (GOTV) and other Democratic activities such as door-to-door canvassing, phone banking, and/or informational gatherings.
- PROMOTE THE PRECINCT CAUCUS. Inform voters in your precinct about the Precinct Caucus and encourage them to attend. Caucus is held every two years.
This video walkthrough goes through everything you need to know about caucus. It walks you through the steps and various processes. It is a great way to lean more about caucus’s so you can be the leader your precinct needs to get things done right. Make your voice heard and help others do the same!